My sister came to stay with me for a few days and has been such good help.  

She cooks, cleans and helps with the kids, maybe she should be moving in with me.  

Not only would she help out, but I was also thinking I might be able to get some cash out of the deal from the big Tax Man.  

I am going to ask you some questions to see how we might qualify together.  There are two credits I am wondering about.  

𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗙𝗶𝗿𝘀𝘁 𝗖𝗿𝗲𝗱𝗶𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗖𝗮𝗿𝗲𝗴𝗶𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗖𝗿𝗲𝗱𝗶𝘁.

The Canada Caregiver Credit is a federal credit and each province also has the credit or some version of it.  

Are you 18 years or older?

Would you be dependent due to a mental or physical infirmity?

Would you get a job or earn an income?  

Are you my child, grandchild, sibling, niece, nephew, aunt or uncle?

Are you a resident of Canada?

What CRA might ask us for.  

If I all of a sudden start claiming a new credit I haven`t claimed before, CRA will most likely want me to provide supporting material.  A medical practitioner may need to sign off on the details and duration.

So on the Federal side, depending on your income, the maximum credit amount is currently $7,140 and then there would also be a provincial credit

𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗦𝗲𝗰𝗼𝗻𝗱 𝗖𝗿𝗲𝗱𝗶𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗗𝗶𝘀𝗮𝗯𝗶𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘆 𝗧𝗮𝘅 𝗖𝗿𝗲𝗱𝗶𝘁.

The Disability Tax Credit must be applied for and approved by CRA.  

Have you been approved for the Disability Tax Credit?

You would have to use the Disability Tax credit first and then the balance unused could be transferred to me.

These are some good examples of some of the adult credits that we could qualify for even though we don`t have a parent-child relationship.